Monthly Archives: February 2018

Zoe dress and top make by Simple Sew Patterns

This month, my make from the  Simple Sew Patterns company is the Zoe top and dress.

I chose to make the dress option.  I decided to make it in heavyweight fabric as I wanted
a winter/ spring dress

In my stash, I had this black and white 2-meter fabric which is reversible. I bought the fabric in a market in Le Touquet, Northen France and always had a dress in mind for it and the Zoe dress, seemed like the best option for it.

 

Here she is all cut out. (see below) I cut the facing and arm cuffs and pocket, on the white side and the main body on the black side.

 

 

Arm cuffs cut in contrast fabric

 

pocket cut in contrast fabric

I then joined the two neck facings together at their edges

Collar facing cut in contrast fabric

I am 5ft 2 so I took 9.5 inches of the hem!

 

As this is really upholstery fabric and therefore thick, I decided to use pinking shears on the raw edges to reduced the bulk in the seams

I decided not to cut the front of the dress as 2 panels as the pattern is bold, it would have been hard to pattern match., especially as I only had 2 meters of this fabric. On the back I did cut 2 panels and because I had limited fabric I couldn’t pattern match. Next time I make it I would cut the back as one panel too.

 

I inserting the neck facking, I used wonderclips and pins to ease the facing in.

All ready for top stitching

 

I added the sleeve cuff, once I had sewn the sides up as I wanted to check the neckline wasn’t too wide, which it wasn’t. I would suggest that you follow the instructions that is a much better way of getting a match on the cuff seams.

joining the arm cuffs after I had sewn up the sides did make it a bit trickier but I wanted to make sure the  fit of the neck was ok.

Phew I managed to line it up ok!! Stick to the instrutions kids it’s easier!!

and here she is with and without pockets…cant decide yet what I prefer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cara Jumpsuit Hack

For my next make for Simple Sew Patterns is the Cara jump suit. I choose to make the wide leg version which is View A.

I chose a beautiful black crepe from the amazing Sew Essential. It is a prestige medium weight 148cm wide. You can buy it here 

As with all simple sew patterns they are so easy to cut out and the crepe was really lovely to cut. One of my favorite things to do in the process of making a garment is cutting out the fabric…I find it very satisfying for some reason!

First I cut out the bodice and the ties and waistband, see photo above.

Then I joined the two shoulder seams.

 

and pinned the ties to the shoulders, which I made by sewing along the long side, right side together and then turned them the right way around. Apologies for the terrible photography, photographing black in a room without any natural light is a nightmare…

Then I sewed the side seams up

Then I made the belt channel. I found this a bit tricky as I hadn’t done this before but once I realized that you are making a ‘tunnel’ for the tie to go through it made sense.

Here it is below with the channels attached

As I am 5ft 2, I shortened the bodice by an inch, to suit my size.

I decided to remove the back ‘cowl drape’ as and I did this by removing a v shape section, which then left a seam down the back. See photo below.

I liked the look of the satin bias binding with the crepe so added that around both arm holes.

Adding satin bias binding to the cara jumpsuit top

In the end, I removed the channel and added it to the trousers to make a waistband, so that the jumpsuit would become seperates.

I was happy with it being a jumpsuit but decided it would more versatile having them as separates.

Here is another view of the back without the drape

With the top finished I sewed up the side seams and around the crotch, see below. I then used the channel to make the drawstring waistband.

Here is the back view… I ran out of tailors chalk so improvised by using pins to make a B for the back!

Here is one of the ways that you could use the pattern, with very little modification to make a waistband. In the end, I used elastic, rather than a drawstring (looks rather strange here like neon glow stick!) I threaded a cord through to see how it looked before I decided how I was going to finish it.

making the waistband of the cara trousers

So far so good! Here is the jumpsuit hacked into a top and flairs.

Together …

And separate with black jeans

 

In summary, I found this to be a very versatile pattern. You have the choice to make 2 different styles of jumpsuits, with either wide or straight leg, and the option to make it into separates. You could even make the top and bottoms off different fabric and designs.